Whenever I speak to someone who is interested in living or working in North Dakota, I always try to give them a strong dose of reality. The quality of life here may not meet their expectations. Simply put, researching the opportunities and weighing them against your standard of living is critical. There are three documented cases of people dying from cold exposure this winter; these were likely ill-equipped job seekers who came to North Dakota with no secure housing. I can't imagine a worse fate than freezing to death in my car.
It's true that the job market is flourishing in North Dakota, but so is homelessness. Do your research. Don't come here without secure housing.
Sunday, January 13, 2013
I'm getting a lot of emails, comments and posts on my discussion forums asking for basic information.
- Where do I look for a job?
- What is a typical starting wage?
- What kind of schedule can I expect to work?
- Rockin' the Bakken - this website has awesome news and information that is specific to North Dakota and Montana. Their "helpful tidbits" on finding employment in the oil industry are especially helpful. Visit www.rockinthebakken.com.
- Black Gold Boom - this website is actually very interactive and informative. It features audio, video and pictorial accounts of what is happening in North Dakota. This is the place to see what life is really like in the oilfield. I've mentioned this site on my blog before, and I mention it again here because it just keeps getting better. Visit www.blackgoldboom.com.
- Job Service North Dakota - many people are familiar with this site, but there is a specific area that I want to draw your attention to. The JSND website has a special section with FAQs for oilfield jobs! This page is fabulous. Visit www.jobsnd.com.
- Rig Zone - if you want to approach the oil and gas industry with a career-oriented approach, then Rig Zone is the resource for you. This site is packed with industry information, job search tips and extensive job postings from leading companies.
Tuesday, January 1, 2013
Two companies are making some strategic moves in the Bakken - keep your eyes on them. ExxonMobil just finished buying up Denbury Resources Inc. In western North Dakota, the ExxonMobil entity that is most visible is XTO Energy.
Continental Resources Inc. is also on the move; they acquired more than 100,000 acres in the Bakken in December, 2012. Continental has goals of tripling their production by 2017.
Job seekers, keep your eye on Continental and XTO
Friday, December 28, 2012
Generally speaking, companies do a lot less hiring and interviewing during the month of December. So don't be discouraged if you are looking for a job in western North Dakota and haven't had much luck thus far. Companies rolled out their 2013 budget plans in mid-December. That means going forward into 2013, the future is bright and the phones will start ringing.
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
Yes, that oil rig just got up and walked. This mind-blowing technology is a real game-changer in the oil and gas industry. Typically, it takes several days - maybe even a week - to move a rig. But this bad boy gets up and walks to the next location, making it easy to drill multiple wells on one pad.